Monday, May 17, 2010

Living Room Window Project

We have some super high windows in our living room. In the winter, they’re lovely. But, for the rest of the year, everyday at about 4:45PM, the sun comes straight in and blinds everyone inside. I have literally had to wash dishes wearing my sunglasses. And, birds can’t see the reflection, so we get numerous bird suicides…like, at least once a week.


After researching remote-controlled blinds (because they’re way too high to reach) and various sunshades, I knew we had to come up with something a bit more affordable yet not unattractive. I remembered seeing something on a home improvement show awhile back about an ugly skylight. The owners made a wooden frame, covered it in sheer fabric, and wedged it into the space that housed the skylight and it looked a LOT better. So, I sent Husband to the hardware store for some pine 1X2's and he constructed these beauties:



Meanwhile, I went to the local fabric store and bought some cheap muslin. That, along with a staple gun, an iron and some fabric scissors is all you need to make this project your very own:



First, I spread some towels on the dining room table and smoothed out the fabric with an iron:



Then, I started stretching and stapling like crazy:



The trick is to put in all of the staples at an angle so the fabric doesn't pull out, put one in every inch or so so it won't pucker and once you staple on one side, pull the crap out of the fabric on the opposite side to staple.



Trim off excess fabric and voila:



Price breakdown

Wood: $15

Fabric: $14

Total Cost: $29



6 comments:

Emily said...

This is gorgeous! Clean and modern, but still warm. Great idea. And cheap!

The Bills Family said...

Wow, that is pretty impressive! I love the clean look.

Lauren said...

Beautiful! You are such a smarty pants! Someday when I have windows of my very own I will try this :)

Lily Belle's mom said...

I am totally doing this in our house...imitation is the best form of flattery, right? Love it.

Nicole Kreiling said...

We have the same situation in our living room - I am tempted to try this!!!!

Unknown said...

love it, going to have to try it for some really small odd shaped windows we have . . .this is perfect!!!